photo aliciaaboutme-1.png

Friday, October 24, 2014

Tyson & Ashley IVF Journey...

Back in May, my friend Ashley Gardner, asked me if I would be willing to document their IVF journey after an 8 year struggle with infertility. No matter what the outcome, she wanted me there through every step of the process. She and her husband, Tyson, wanted to remember all they went through in their attempt to start a family and when Ashley was ready, she wanted to share these photos to raise awareness for infertility and help even one person who was struggling, too. 

This "project" to document their journey became more than me just taking photos. I watched this amazing couple everyday for months through the lens of my camera and what I captured was more than I ever imagined. I watched a devoted, loving husband stand by his wife every second of the way. I watched him cry with her, laugh with her, support her emotionally, spiritually, and physically. I watched an incredible man struggle while he watched his wife endure so much. I watched a beautiful woman who always desired to be a mother and then struggled for 8 years without one positive pregnancy test, walk through those clinic doors everyday with a smile on her face, radiating faith and hope from every pore. I watched the love she had for Tyson. I watched their love grow stronger through this process and I watched their unwavering faith conquer every obstacle placed before them. I saw the desire they had to become parents and then I watched them fall in love with two little embryos. Two little embryos that would split into two sets of identical twin girls and change their lives forever. 

From the very beginning when Ashley told me their story, I was invested 150%. I wanted to document EVERYTHING. I wanted them to have the perfect story with the perfect ending and even though I knew there was chance it could end in dissapointment, I wanted them to have the journey photos they had dreamed of. Little did I know God had an even bigger plan in store! 

Somewhere along the way, their life became a huge part of mine. I feel like we became family. I always knew they were amazing, but I actually got to experience just how amazing they really are. They never complained, they never gave up, they never let the struggle get the best of them. Instead, they grew together in love and faith. They allowed themselves to accept that the journey wasn't perfect and it didn't work out how they had originally planned, but this was their story and to them, it WAS perfect. 

The day they opened the envelope that revealed if they were pregnant or not, is a day I will never, ever forget. I wish I could relive that day again! The emotions were intense, they were so raw and pure. If you ever wondered what it would be like to truly feel the Savior's love and embrace, I imagine it would be somewhat like that. It was such an intimate and special experience and it was an honor to be there in that moment. 

Ashley was beyond nervous to open the envelope, but she finally took the card out and placed it upside down on her lap. She kept hesitating, placing her hand on the edge of the card, ready to flip it over, taking deep breath after deep breath, mentally preparing herself for whatever response was written on the other side. Those were the last few moments they would hold on to the hope that had pushed them through their journey. They were already on the verge of tears, I could see it in their eyes through my lens. And then, she flipped it over...

I have to be honest, the first minutes were rough for me. Tyson threw his head back, Ashley put her hand over her mouth and then together they started crying and embraced each other. I couldn't tell if they were tears of joy or tears of heartbreak. My hands were shaking, my palms were sweating, it took everything inside of me to hold it together to get those photos, anticipating what I would say or do when the answer was finally revealed to me. When Ashley turned the card towards me and I read the words, "POSITIVE", I was overcome with emotion. This incredible couple was finally pregnant! I will never be able to truly understand how Tyson and Ashley felt in that particular moment, but being there with them, I knew it meant everything. I don't say that lightly or as a figure of speech, but in every literal sense of the word. Everything they had had suffered for eight long years, everything they had sacrificed financially, physically and otherwise, was worth it for that one moment alone. 

There are no words to accurately describe how Tyson and Ashley have changed my life. They make me want to be better and do better. I want to be the kind of wife that Ashley is, so full of love and gratitude. I want to possess even half the strength and courage that she does. I want to be a support system for my husband, like Tyson is for Ashley, and I want him to feel adored and appreciated in the ways that I know Ashley feels that from Tyson, too. Seeing the process of IVF and knowing so many wonderful women and couples are doing it just to try for a baby, makes me so humbled and so grateful for the gift of motherhood that's been given to me through three beautiful children. 
I have never met a couple more faithful or more deserving of this precious blessing. Those four little girls are going to be the luckiest little girls on earth. I have been inspired by this couple in every aspect of my daily life. 

There are so many wonderful moments from this journey, I could probably write a novel!! I am so glad we took these pictures! The world has now been given the chance to watch their story through my eyes, through the photos I was able to capture, all because Tyson and Ashley were willing to share these intimate moments of their life to help others. I know they have touched the hearts and lives of many because of it. 

You can check out their IVF Journey video here: 


 



























































































 






























































































































































27 comments:

  1. I love the RAW emotion in these photos! BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tasha! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post and comment!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tamzie! Thank you for reading my blog post and commenting!

      Delete
  3. These are amazing, I love all of them. So real and so full of hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for sharing such a sweet comment!

      Delete
  4. Having been on this long trying journey myself these pictures tell the story perfectly. It's not easy and is an emotional roller coaster. Bless this sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I am so sorry for the struggle you have endured with infertility. My hope is to help Ashley raise awareness on this issue and comfort other women and couples who are suffering, too. Thank you for reading my blog post and taking the time to share your comment!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful journey.......and this is just the beginning :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comment, I know Tyson and Ashley are so grateful for the support. Thank you for reading my blog post and leaving this encouraging comment for them!

      Delete
  6. Oh my God am in tears thank you for sharing your wonderful story it was so easy for me to conceive that I assumed it was just as easy for everyone else. You're journey has just begun your blessings are a joy for the world God bless y'all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog post, Denise! And, thank you for taking the time to share such a sweet comment with Tyson and Ashley. I know they appreciate all the love and support.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing. Should be a book. Give other couples Hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog post and sharing your thoughts and such a nice comment! I agree, it should be a book!!

      Delete
  8. Ashley and Tyson are my hero's!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my heroes too, Patti! Thank you for reading my blog post and sharing such a great comment for Tyson and Ashley!

      Delete
  9. They are such an inspiring beautiful couple. Those images are stunning. What a journey* so raw. Tears are stinging my eyes. I hope my dear sisters ivf can bring such joy that this wonderful couple radiate xx following in England with prayers for the #quadsquad & their mama & papa :):) ps-what a brilliant friend you are to be so incredibly supportive to Ashley & Tyson. This visual keepsake is just so lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara, your comment has truly made my day, thank you! You are so very sweet. They really are the most inspiring couple, thank you for following their journey and supporting them. I know it means the world to Tyson and Ashley. I feel so honored to have been part of this experience and to have developed such a great friendship with them. They have touched my heart forever. Thank you again for taking the time to read my blog post and share such a beautiful comment.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing your journey with everyone! it is a beautiful representation of how grueling this journey can be. All the best as you enter into the next stages of your journey with your 4 little miracles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my post Courtney and thank you for leaving such a kind and encouraging comment for Tyson and Ashley!

      Delete
  11. Wow Sweetheart Photography what a great write up on this wonderful couple.The pictures are amazing.My favorites are the ones with the family all together finding out the gender of the babies.You do an AMAZING job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, what a beautiful comment! Thank you for reading my blog post and taking the time to leave a comment. That is one of my favorite photos, too!! :)

      Delete
  12. Wow--I just love this--so amazing! So much of it mirrored my IVF and FET experience with my precious twins! I am so happy for this sweet couple! I love seeing their crying joy at their positive announcement--really brought me back to mine--just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this beautiful comment, Maria! What a precious miracle you've been given to have those twins. I am glad you had a successful FET experience-- congratulations!! When you mentioned those photos of them opening their positive pregnancy card, I realized I missed some of the best photos. So, I added them and I hope you get the chance to go out and look again!

      Delete
  13. God Bless you. Your story gives me hope. My daughter has suffered through seven years of infertility. She has had multiple miscarriages and then a miracle, pregnant with identical twins. I still question why God would give her TWO miracles just to take them away. They were mono mono twins and she lost them at 16 weeks. I pray she will have the strength to continue trying. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!! I am so incredibly happy for this family! How special to have these photos. You did an amazing job documenting them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!!! I am so incredibly happy for this family! How special to have these photos. You did an amazing job documenting them!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Silly Me Design